Thursday, August 4, 2011

Friday - Day 2

Well its Friday morning for me and getting a good 2.5-3 hrs of sleep I am off and ready to hit up comic con day 2, or as my schedule would say, Oh S#!T day there is waaaaayyyy too much to do.  For anyone who saw the autograph schedule, they know there are about 13 different signings that are being ticketed off at 9am, not to mention the 7am drawing for the Star Trek Captains (talent was not named, but I guessed there would be Shatner and Bakula for sure.  Stewart was very hopeful as he was going to promote Dorothy of Oz, but that was on Saturday)  So once again with very little sleep and running on coffee and subway sub (BTW subway did not serve breakfast subs prior to 6am) I line up to get into Con.  Now this day was much more prepared that Thursday and this is something I will comment on in a later post.  I had a couple of friends who were so kind as to be lined up at 430am to get into the convention hall so I was not all the way in the back of the line.  So they apparently handed out these falling skies promotional bags that had water tins, pins, tshirts, light up bouncy ball, etc.  I missed it =(.  Well they let us all in and we get to line up above hall H at the escalators that lead down into the showroom.  The ticket raffle begins and (thank goodness) everyone is calm and orderly and lines up single file to pull the raffle for the Star Trek Captain's signing.  I'm first and BOOM! get a winning ticket.  Signing in room 28C at 12:30pm.  As the clock approaches 9am I tell my friend some of things to try and do once the showroom opens while I attempt to get a couple more autograph raffles.

With the Star Trek Signing that meant no Thundercats or Green Lantern Signing (Boo, I wanted to see Emmanuelle Chriqui).  I set my sights on getting autographs for the Raven (Alice Eve, John Cusack, etc), Haywire (Steven Soderbergh, Gina "Conviction" Carano), Attack of the Show, Guillermo del Toro, George R.R. Martin.  Now I know that sounds like a lot but the way they are doing the autograph raffles is interesting.  Basically everyone lines up in a single line, then is directed into the sails pavillion after people are let into the showroom (So while advertised at 9am for ticket raffles, they really began around 945am), and its like a game of lemmings, everyone filters to the ticket raffle they want to get.  I went to the Haywire line first as it was completely empty and got a winning ticket on first try again, YAY!  Now comes the interesting part, I was told to go ALL THE WAY BACK IN LINE, but noticed that people were just circling back into other lines.  I respect the rules put in place but contested what the others were doing.  Luckily the lady (sorry I can't remember the name of who) told me I could do what I wanted but that I was warned of the consequences and shouldn't complain if something goes wrong.  I must say thank you for being so kind and not being all "forceful I am authority, I am the rules and you must follow" type.  So, yes I circled around and got the Raven, and Attack of the Show. 

Now many of you (ok maybe not many) are thinking, what about the WB signings.  Well those were a little crazy.  I know they got a lot of heat for how they conducted their signings last year and so they conformed to the Comic Con policies and did the whole wristband/raffle thing.  The problem was people were lining up super early for the ones they wanted and the lines were getting capped off early.  For example the True Blood signing that was raffled off at 1pm, was lining up at 9 and, I believe, got capped off by 1130am.  So unless I wanted to wait for a very popular raffle from WB, I had to forego my chance to get those signings.  I was bummed as I really wanted to see Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch from Big Bang Theory (met the rest of the cast from previous comic cons) and Kevin Smith is always a joy to see at Con and shoot the S#!T with. 

So it is nearly 11am and I have my autograph sessions in order and am informed through twitter that Jon Favreau is going to be signing Cowboys and Aliens posters at the Hard Rock Hotel at 130pm.  Well that is another kink in the schedule (not to mention the text messages about getting a gold brick with a chance to see the Hollywood Style premier of Cowboys and Aliens).  I get my friend to line up for that and the poster looks sweet, not to mention he got a pass to the premier screening, of course I get to go!

By this time people are lining up for Attack of the Show signing, so much like yesterday I have spent almost half my day and I have not stepped foot into the showroom or into a panel.  I line up and realize I forgot my camera, DANG!  Once again the niceness of people makes itself known and someone offers to take pictures of me with the stars and send them through email.  Thanks and if you read this I would like to see those pictures.  Running back and forth from sigining to signing I get them all done.  In fact I was helped out by having the Star Trek signing start at 1215pm. While Bakula and Shatner were there, only Shatner was signing and it felt so rushed even Bill (yeah we are on those terms =P) looked a little annoyed by what was happening.  I am going to comment later on my signings for the Raven and Haywire in a later post as those were particularly special for me.

Anywho, its just past 2pm and I want to see the Green Lantern Panel in room 6bcf because Conan O'Brien was going to be promoting his alter Ego, The Flaming C.  Truly an entertainer and someone who responds so well on the fly.  He was bombarded with questions such as asking for a hug, doing the string dance, having Jay Leno or some form of a chin being The Flaming C's arch nemesis, to which Conan responded, "geez you guys are more upset about than I am.  I'm just trying to move past it (sorry Conan, we faithful defend team Coco till the end!), to someone asking for his name placard signed, to someone dressed up as the Flaming C.  Conan did all the requests without hesitation or fail, and even got involved in some play fighting (I think) with a fan.  They were handing out tickets for an autograph session with Conan.  Did not win, but was thoroughly entertained by the panel.

By this time I want to attend the Spiderman (Sony) panel in Hall H but am so tired at this point I make a couple of rounds on the showroom floor and head back to the hotel.  In all the commotion I totally forget to stop by the Nickelodeon booth to pick up my ticket to attend the TMNT launch party at Bar Basic, AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!! This was something that I had to do before noon this day.  Well I head back to my hotel to rest a little and freshen up for another fun night of partying.

My first party is the El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron video game launch party, something I get to attend thanks to a facebook contest.  Well the party is rockin, the beats are flowing, and so are the drinks.  I love these hosted bars.  I spend more time drinking and conversing with my friends.  Good times.  Even better is that gift back with shirts and posters were given out and there was a raffle to win the game, original artwork, and crystal/glass sculpture thingy straight from Japan.  One of my friends one that!

Fully liquored up and feeling like a good time, its off to the Nerd Party, Hosted by Zac Levi and the Nerd Machine.  (Side note: I would have loved to do more of the Nerd Party everything at Nerd HQ, especially the conversations, but with so much going on and already having a semi set plan it was hard to incorporate the awesomeness that was Nerd HQ.  I hope even though this will be the final season for CHUCK (sad tear ;-(, that this will be something that continues to happen).  First thing I notice is that it seems a little quiet for a Nerd party.  Then I notice two lines and some people going upstairs and some not.  So the "real party" is happening upstairs.  Asking how to get there, I was told I had to be on the guest list or that it was at capacity (two different security guards giving me info).  I really wanted to be there too since I was there last year at the Chuck TweetUp at Bar Ninety.  Well hung around and enjoyed my time.

Then off to the AMC, From Dusk till Con, Poynt Party at Stingaree.  Without sounding like a broken record, it was good times.  I got there a little late so I think I missed the celebs that were there but I enjoyed myself with some drinks and meeting some nice people.  People watching is also fun to do.  Super tired by then and head back to hotel at 2am.  And guess what???? Getting up early again, this time to get my ticket for next year.  And the journey continues!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment